Search
Close this search box.

The DRA may Have to Help with More Home Repairs After Nicole

By KHRISNA RUSSELL

Tribune Chief Reporter

krussell@tribunemedia.net

DISASTER Reconstruction Authority Chairman Alex Storr said yesterday it is possible that the DRA may have to help additional homeowners repair homes as Hurricane Nicole may have exacerbated the challenges for some in Abaco and Grand Bahama.

Mr Storr said assessments were continuing on those islands as there were still some people who had not had their homes repaired since Hurricane Dorian in 2019.

He spoke to the issue yesterday after a newly tabled DRA report said the authority would need $6,444,828 to facilitate the repair of 3,735 homes.

The report only detailed information as of June 30, 2021. It was tabled in the House of Assembly on Wednesday and covers a 19-month period from December 1, 2019, to June 30, 2021.

“As we go through the assessments we will get a better figure,” Mr Storr said yesterday when asked if there were still more than 3,700 homes to be repaired.

“That will take a while because we have quite a number of assessments. So far the government has allocated us $2 million.

“We began assessments in Grand Bahama in earnest and we hope to begin very shortly in Abaco and as we do the assessments we’re also working so we probably won’t have the figure until after the programme when we know what it is because right now we can’t even give you an accurate figure as people are still coming in to apply for assistance, especially after Nicole that has exasperated the situation because persons may have been in unlivable conditions after Dorian, but Nicole may have caused some increase in leaks and everything else and so more people are coming in.”

He said he was uncertain as some people in past months repaired their own homes while others remained in need of help.

According to the audit as of June 30, 2021, the Small Homes Repair Programme approved 3,735 homeowners for assistance in the disaster zone.

“The government of The Bahamas committed to complete 2,692 or 72 percent of those approved homeowners in what was categorised as stage one,” independent auditor LDL and Associates said.

“In the budget estimates and allocations for the year July 2021 through June 2022, a commitment of $2m was designated to complete stage one and assist homeowners in what has been labelled as stage two.”

The report said: “The DRA on behalf of the government of The Bahamas, is committed to spend an additional $6,444,828 to complete the SHRP funding for the 3,735 homeowners who were approved through June 30, 2021.

“This will require additional funding from the government of The Bahamas and a specific timeline for funding this commitment has not yet been established.”

Share:

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Email
Communications Department

Communications Department

Communications Department—a dedicated hub for timely and transparent dissemination of information. As the forefront of our organization's outreach efforts, we strive to keep you informed about our disaster response initiatives, reconstruction projects, and community engagement endeavors.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Get The Latest Updates

Subscribe To Our Weekly Newsletter

No spam, notifications only about new products, updates.
Maximum number of entries exceeded.

Social Media

Most Popular

Tags

Other Posts from the DRA

Related Posts

Press Release

Abaco Shelter Building Project Makes Substantial Progress

Marsh Harbour, Abaco, Bahamas, Friday, November 24, 2023 – The Abaco hurricane shelter building project met a significant milestone when it was inspected and enthusiastically endorsed by the High Commissioner for India to Jamaica, The Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Turks and Caicos Islands, and the British Virgin Island Shri R. Masakui, and United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Assistant Resident Representative, Ava

Read More »
News

The US Government Donates Approx. $600,00 Worth of Emergency Equipment to NEMA

Authored by: Llonella Gilbert Source: Bahamas Information Services Date: March 14, 2023 NASSAU, Bahamas — Minister of State with Responsibility for Disaster Risk Reduction the Hon. Myles Laroda thanked the United States government for its “very generous donation” of 28 generators, which will be installed with automatic transfer switches, carbon monoxide sensors and fire extinguishers. This support package costs approximately

Read More »
News

The DRA may Have to Help with More Home Repairs After Nicole

By KHRISNA RUSSELL Tribune Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net DISASTER Reconstruction Authority Chairman Alex Storr said yesterday it is possible that the DRA may have to help additional homeowners repair homes as Hurricane Nicole may have exacerbated the challenges for some in Abaco and Grand Bahama. Mr Storr said assessments were continuing on those islands as there were still some people who

Read More »

Disclaimer

The information contained on this website is for general information purposes only. The DRA website, a property of The Disaster Reconstruction Authority, provides the information. While we endeavor to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability, or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.